Why pray the Rosary every day for a year?


Each time the Blessed Virgin has appeared-- whether it be to Saint Bernadette Soubirous at Lourdes; to Lucia, Jacinta, and Francisco at Fatima; or to Mariette Beco at Banneux-- she has asserted the importance, saving grace, and power of praying the Holy Rosary on a daily basis. Based upon her words, the Rosary is penance and conversion for sinners, a pathway to peace, an end to war, and a powerful act of faith in Jesus Christ. Pope Paul VI presented the Rosary as a powerful means to reach Christ "not merely with Mary but indeed, insofar as this is possible to us, in the same way as Mary, who is certainly the one who thought about Him more than anyone else has ever done."

To show us how this is done, perhaps no one has been more eloquent than the great Cardinal Newman, who wrote: "The great power of the Rosary consists in the fact that it translates the Creed into Prayer. Of course, the Creed is already in a certain sense a prayer and a great act of homage towards God, but the Rosary brings us to meditate again on the great truth of His life and death, and brings this truth close to our hearts. Even Christians, although they know God, usually fear rather than love Him. The strength of the Rosary lies in the particular manner in which it considers these mysteries, since all our thinking about Christ is intertwined with the thought of His Mother, in the relations between Mother and Son; the Holy Family is presented to us, the home in which God lived His infinite love."


As Mary said at Fatima, "Jesus wants to use you to make Me known and loved. He wishes to establish the devotion to My Immaculate Heart throughout the world. I promise salvation to whoever embraces it; these souls will be dear to God, like flowers put by Me to adorn his throne."



The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows: The Stabat Mater

Posted by Jacob

Today, September 15, we celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. In our communion with Mary, Our Blessed Mother, we recognize that we rarely experience joy without first enduring adversity. We ask Mary, who experienced great sorrow in her own life, to pray for us, so that, in the midst of our trials and tribulations, we may look forward to the joy that comes from remaining faithful witnesses to Christ.

The Stabat Mater is a thirteenth-century Latin hymn, the title meaning "the Mother was standing." Evocative of Mary, beneath the cross of the crucified Christ, this beautiful hymn (translated from the original Latin) describes the Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin at the Cross.


At the cross her station keeping,
Mary stood in sorrow weeping
When her Son was crucified.


While she waited in her anguish,
Seeing Christ in torment languish,
Bitter sorrow pierced her heart.


With what pain and desolation,
With what noble resignation,
Mary watched her dying Son.


Ever-patient in her yearning
Though her tear-filled eyes were burning,
Mary gazed upon her Son.


Who, that sorrow contemplating,
On that passion meditating,
Would not share the Virgin's grief?


Christ she saw, for our salvation,
Scourged with cruel acclamation,
Bruised and beaten by the rod.
Christ she saw with life-blood failing,
All her anguish unavailing,
Saw him breathe his very last.


Mary, fount of love's devotion,
Let me share with true emotion
All the sorrow you endured.


Virgin, ever interceding,
Hear me in my fervent pleading:
Fire me with your love of Christ.


Mother, may this prayer be granted:
That Christ's love may be implanted
In the depths of my poor soul.

At the cross, your sorrow sharing,
All your grief and torment bearing,
Let me stand and mourn with you.

Fairest maid of all creation,
Queen of hope and consolation,
Let me feel your grief sublime.

Virgin, in your love befriend me,
At the Judgment Day defend me.
Help me by your constant prayer.


Savior, when my life shall leave me,
Through your mother's prayers
receive me
With the fruits of victory.


Virgin of all virgins blest!
Listen to my fond request:
Let me share your grief divine


Let me, to my latest breath,
In my body bear the death
Of your dying Son divine.

Wounded with His every wound,
Steep my soul till it has swooned
In His very Blood away.

Be to me, O Virgin, nigh,
Lest in flames I burn and die,
In His awe-full judgment day.

Savior, when my life shall leave me,
Through your mother's prayers
receive me
With the fruits of victory.

While my body here decays
May my soul your goodness praise,
Safe in heaven eternally. Amen Alleluia.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you wish to submit a prayer request, however, please do so above, using the "Contact" tab.