Why pray the Rosary every day for a year?


Each time the Blessed Virgin has appeared-- whether it be to Saint Bernadette Soubirous at Lourdes; to Lucia, Jacinta, and Francisco at Fatima; or to Mariette Beco at Banneux-- she has asserted the importance, saving grace, and power of praying the Holy Rosary on a daily basis. Based upon her words, the Rosary is penance and conversion for sinners, a pathway to peace, an end to war, and a powerful act of faith in Jesus Christ. Pope Paul VI presented the Rosary as a powerful means to reach Christ "not merely with Mary but indeed, insofar as this is possible to us, in the same way as Mary, who is certainly the one who thought about Him more than anyone else has ever done."

To show us how this is done, perhaps no one has been more eloquent than the great Cardinal Newman, who wrote: "The great power of the Rosary consists in the fact that it translates the Creed into Prayer. Of course, the Creed is already in a certain sense a prayer and a great act of homage towards God, but the Rosary brings us to meditate again on the great truth of His life and death, and brings this truth close to our hearts. Even Christians, although they know God, usually fear rather than love Him. The strength of the Rosary lies in the particular manner in which it considers these mysteries, since all our thinking about Christ is intertwined with the thought of His Mother, in the relations between Mother and Son; the Holy Family is presented to us, the home in which God lived His infinite love."


As Mary said at Fatima, "Jesus wants to use you to make Me known and loved. He wishes to establish the devotion to My Immaculate Heart throughout the world. I promise salvation to whoever embraces it; these souls will be dear to God, like flowers put by Me to adorn his throne."



Saint John Chrysostom: Prayer According to the Hours of Day and Night

Posted by Jacob

Today, September 13, we celebrate the feast day of Saint John Chrysostom (344-407), Bishop of Constantinople, and Doctor of the Church. The power of Saint John’s words, and the eloquence of his sermons earned him his surname, which translated literally means “the golden mouthed.” Saint John preached the Gospel to all who would listen, drawing attention to the needs of the poor, and advocating for great social change on the part of the rich and noble classes. As such, he was exiled twice, but never gave up preaching the Gospel message, even while banished from his homeland. Saint John is the recognized as the Eastern Father of the Church.


Prayer of St. John Chrysostom

According to the Hours of Day and Night

1. O Lord, deprive me not of Thy heavenly blessings;


2. O Lord, deliver me from eternal torment;


3. O Lord, if I have sinned in my mind or thought, in word deed, forgive me.


4. O Lord, deliver me from every ignorance and heedlessness, from pettiness of the soul and stony hardness of heart;


5. O Lord, deliver me from every temptation;


6. O Lord, enlighten my heart darkened by evil desires;


7. O Lord, I, being a human being, have sinned; do Thou, being God, forgive me in Thy lovingkindness, for Thou knowest the weakness of my soul.


8. O Lord, send down Thy grace to help me, that I may glorify Thy holy Name;


9. O Lord Jesus Christ, inscribe me, Thy servant, in the Book of Life, and grant me a blessed end;


10. O Lord my God, even if I have done nothing good in Thy sight, yet grant me, according to Thy grace, that I may make a start in doing good.


11. O Lord, sprinkle on my heart the dew of Thy grace;


12. O Lord of heaven and earth, remember me, Thy sinful servant, cold of heart and impure, in Thy Kingdom.


13. O Lord, receive me in repentance;


14. O Lord, leave me not;


15. O Lord, save me from temptation;


16. O Lord, grant me pure thoughts;


17. O Lord, grant me tears of repentance, remembrance of death, and the sense of peace;


18. O Lord, grant me mindfulness to confess my sins;


19. O Lord, grant me humility, charity, and obedience;


20. O Lord, grant me tolerance, magnanimity, and gentleness;


21. O Lord, implant in me the root of all blessings: the fear of Thee in my heart;


22. O Lord, vouchsafe that I may love Thee with all my heart and soul, and that I may obey in all things Thy will;


23. O Lord, shield me from evil persons and devils and passions and all other lawless matters;


24. O Lord, Who knowest Thy creation and that which Thou hast willed for it; may Thy will also be fulfilled in me, a sinner, for Thou art blessed forevermore. Amen.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you wish to submit a prayer request, however, please do so above, using the "Contact" tab.